Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Country Music Fans

I haven't mentioned it before (and this is a tad personal) but I like rap music. Quite a bit. I mean, I enjoy aspects of all genres of music, but 53% of the time, my iPod is jamming to some Rap and/or Hip Hop. In addition, unless you've been under a rock for the past week, you've probably heard about the whole 50 Cent vs. Kanye West "who can sell more records" hype, with Kenny Chesney (sp? I don't know too much about this guy. Wasn't he married to Renee Zellwegger? Crap, that's another name I have no idea how to spell) representing the Country market as a dark horse to sell more than either 50 or Kanye.

Anyway, that was last week and Kanye handily sold more. However, apparently some of the folks in Redwell didn't know that little tidbit. Now that it's been set up to death, here's the actual exchange with a patron:

Big country woman comes in. She's wearing overalls. She's got a John Deere hat. She looks like she can bench press me (and I'm not the smallest fella). She comes up to the circ desk.

Big Country: "Hey! Ya'll got the new Kenny CD?"

Me: "Excuse me?"

BC: "You know, the new Kenny Chesney CD. "Pirates: Songs of Scrips, Scabs, and Scallywags." (Or whatever it's really called) It came out last Tuesday."

Me: "Oh. I'll check to see if we ordered it. I seriously doubt it's already out of processing since it's so new."

BC: "I can wait"

Me: (Checking on our system) "Um...I'm sorry, it doesn't look like we've ordered that. We have some of his older stuff in the Music section if you're interested"

BC: "Yeah. I'll take some of that. Every little bit helps. You hear about that thing with him and the rappers?"

Me: (Trying to be a tad sly as to not expose my true feelings on the subject) "I've heard a bit about it on the news."

BC: "Some Canyon West, or whatever that fellas name is, said he could sell more records than any country album and I'm doing my part to support Kenny. And all country music."

Me: "Really? He said that about Kenny"

BC: "Yessir. And I'm here to check out all of Kenny's stuff."

Okay, does she not realize that borrowing stuff from the library does not count on the sales figures? And that old albums have no bearing on the current sales. Anyway, as my mind is about to blow up from the massive logic failure, she continues:

BC: "Of course, Kenny better watch himself. Them rap guys kill themselves on a regular basis."

I just smile and nod, not wanting to continue this current questioning. She returns later with a thick stack of Kenny, plus some Garth Brooks just for good measure. I check her out and watch her leave with no incident.

I hope she felt proud for doing her part to help save Country.

No comments: